Sunday, August 30, 2009

Why You Should Never Let Your Child Ride on the Front of the Buggy

This is William's left big toe:
Yesterday we had soccer practice and we were going to run in Lowes before lunch to look at some playset supplies. We were loading our buggy and trying to avoid traffic to make it into Lowes. Five kids, two shoeless boys, one not wanting to sit in the buggy, screaming, two hungry babies.....you get the picture. While I don't let our children stand on the buggy b/c once in Hobby Lobby our buggy got tumped over b/c of said kids on the side of it and baby strapped in the seat. So after that happened I really don't let our kids stand on the buggy. But oh how they love to do so. William was standing on the front of our Lowes buggy and decided to jump off in front of a moving truck while Henry was screaming to the top of his lungs and girls were fussing and Clayton was yelling at William to get back on the buggy before he got ran over and I ran over his toe. Upon further examination I looked at his toe and there was no toenail....ahhhhhh! So we turned around and loaded our car back up and headed to Acute Care Kids where they cleaned his toe, numbed it up with shots, reset his toenail to protect his cut nail bed and put in a stitch to hold it in place. THEY PUT A STITCH THROUGH HIS TOENAIL! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! Now, I know the pain of losing a nail. When I was about William's age or a little older I slammed my pinky finger in my Aunt Bev's screen door and lost that nail. I still remember the throbbing! Then six years ago I lost a toenail by catching it on the back of someone's shoe and after it regrew I lost the same toenail again to a recliner while I was 8 months pregnant with twins and the thing still hasn't completely grown back! Anyway, I know how he feels. Clayton had to take him in to the doctor b/c I was cringing just thinking about how bad his poor felt. He has to keep that big bandage on it for three days and stay out of soccer for a few weeks. Bless his heart! Anyway, the moral of the story is: never let your kids stand on the front of the buggy....it's VERY dangerous!

3 comments:

  1. Poor thing. That just makes my toe hurt looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have had a few accidents ourselves this week. poor thing. i hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor William. I slamed my finger in the door of our car when I was in the 9th grade and still remember how it throbbed. The nail did not come off but they had to drill a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure. I hope it doesn't give him too much pain. He was loving soccar and is now going to have to miss several weeks. William is your accident prone child, is he not? You and Clayton are brave to take all 5 of them out and about. I had one child and usually hired a high school or college student to come baby sit while I ran my errands if Phil was not availabe to keep him. HA

    ReplyDelete