Tuesday, August 18, 2009

An Educational Weekend

This past weekend we spent our Saturday out and about. We ate lunch at DQ, which is an educational experience in and of itself. If you don't know about DQ you should definitely get educated! Of course I'm a sucker for fast food. After some delicious lunch and ice cream we headed to Dallas. We went to the aquarium where we learned about all kinds of animals. The kids had a blast seeing all the animals and I thought it was great too. I've never been to another aquarium so I don't really know how this one compares but I give it an A+ myself. There were tons of beautiful birds but I only got a picture of the flamingos:
These are spotted stingrays and they were soooo cool. One of them got a little upset at all the little hands on his tank I think and almost jumped out! It was so cool according to the boys!
The girls liked to see all the animals as well. They started out in the stroller but decided they needed a closer view as time went on so we held them most of the time. Here they are checking out a turtle:

Henry didn't quite grasp the concept of look, no touch.....he tried to hit every tank. Poor fish....


This is the manatee.....he was my favorite!





Now the sharks were quite impressive. Their tank was in a tunnel so they swam all around and above you. Here is a sawfish:








More sharks. Of course the boys' favorites were the sharks!






Here's a hammerhead shark:
And a seahorse:
There were a lot of other animals that I didn't take pics of. But topping our list of favorites were a pair of owls, some kind of rabbit that lives in Africa, several alligators, a jaguar, and some catfish that were bigger than the boys! We had a great time learning about some animals! Then while we were downtown we headed over to the Sixth Floor Museum which is where Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK. You have headphones and go through the museum self-guided seeing pictures and lots of videos. I have no pictures of this b/c you can't take pics there. I could have taken pics on the grassy knoll outside where the motorcade passed by when The President was shot but I had five hungry children on my hands after the tour so I opted out. Now, I am no history buff. Ask any of my teachers. I never cared for history much in school. It was one of those subjects where I just memorized the answers for the test and that was it. I can't name all the Presidents or tell you much about any major war, what started it, who fought in it, etc, nor can I tell you much about any significant event in history. I know, I should be ashamed (I can hear my mother now). But this was sooo interesting. Clayton loves stuff like this and I have to say I'd like to go back kidless so I could get the full effect and takes pics from the grassy knoll. This is the second time I've been surprised at how great places like this are. The first time we went to San Fran we toured Alcatraz and it was by far my favorite thing we did (even topped the shopping, which was amazing!) So I would highly recommend going to the Sixth Floor Museum if you're ever in Dallas. Charlie even said he wanted to go back and wear the headphones. He opted not to and William wore some and listened. We swung by the Dallas Farmers Market after the museum and while those $8 watermelons sure looked tasty we opted for a $3 grocery store one. All in all we had a pretty educational weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment