Saturday, October 24, 2009

Brutal Honesty

Charlie came downstairs before I finished getting ready this morning. Here is how our conversation went:

Charlie: "Mom, can I have my breakfast now?"
Me: "In just a minute, Charlie. Let me finish ironing my shirt first."
Charlie: "Why are you ironing that shirt?"
Me: "Well, Mommy doesn't have a lot of time for herself during the week so on Saturdays I want to try and look nice for Daddy."
Charlie: "Why don't you have time for yourself?"
Me: "Because I'm usually doing things for all of y'all."
Charlie: "Mom, can I have my breakfast now?"
Me: "I'm almost done ironing this shirt. Just a few more minutes."
Charlie: "But that's going to take foooorrrrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr!"
Me: "Well, I'll just get my clothes on and I'll do my hair and makeup later. So just let me get on my clothes and we'll go make breakfast."
Charlie: "Oh, Mom, I want to do my hair and teeth later too."
Me: "Okay."
(I am now dressed and go to the mirror to take the towel out of my hair)
Charlie: "I thought you were going to do your hair later."
Me: "I am. I'm just going to put it in a ponytail so I can fix it later."
Charlie: "Oh, you're just going to brush through it now?"
Me: "Yes."
Charlie: "Mom, you look like a boy with long hair in that shirt."
Me: (stunned)"Well, maybe when I get my hair and makeup done I won't look like a boy anymore."
Charlie: "Well, that shirt makes you look like a boy with long hair. Can I have my breakfast now?"
Me: "Come on, Charlie. Let's go make breakfast."

OUCH! Talk about a wake-up call!

I admit. I don't take care of myself like I should. I haven't really shopped for myself in a long time. I think anyone who has had a baby recently can relate. I mean, who wants to shop for yourself when you're fat? Clearly, that is a total waste of money b/c you're not going to be that size forever; right? Well, since I've had five children in five years let's just say I haven't been my normal size for a LONG time. But I'm slowly but surely making back down to normal size. So it's time to start updating my wardrobe a little bit. For example, you know that you are not taking care of yourself like you should when you get a compliment on your shirt and it's one your mama bought for you when you were in high school. It's sad to admit but, yes, there are still several pieces of clothing in my closet that are from high school and quite a bit in there from college. Let's see, since my ten-year reunion I have celebrated 8 birthday parties for my three little boys (combined), gotten pregnant with twins and carried them 39 weeks and celebrated their first birthday and am fixing to celebrate their second Christmas. All that to say, my clothes are OLD.

Anyway, I'm working on my list for Santa. It's going something like this:

Dear Santa,
I've been good this year. For Christmas I'd like some clothes....preferably something that doesn't make me look like a boy with long hair.
Love,
April

(FYI: Today I'm wearing one of my favorite button down tuxedo shirts from Gap, jeans and cowboy boots. And I did ask Charlie after I did my hair and makeup if I still looked like a boy with long hair and he said, "no, after you put on some makeup and did your hair you look like a girl." Maybe I just need some youth serum, ha!)

2 comments:

  1. HA! Kids can certainly make you feel good about yourself, can't they? I had my spanx on under my dress which accentuates the roundness of my belly and Addison asked me when that baby was coming out. I was like "Gee thanks, dear!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh! I love your blog and I wish you were close so we could hang out!!!

    ReplyDelete