Friday, January 8, 2010

TGIF

Thank God It's Friday!

Do you know what the best part about Friday is? The best part about Friday is that on Friday night when I lay down to sleep I don't have to set an alarm clock! It's glorious! See, I hate that alarm clock. It doesn't matter what time I lay myself down to sleep when that alarm goes off in the a.m. I am always still tired and never got enough sleep. I think it's a mental block thing with me and the alarm clock. Whatever it is it makes me sooooo thankful for Fridays!

Another great thing about this particular Friday is that today we are National Champions! That's right.....my eyes were glued to the tv last night until early this morning watching the big game. Roll Tide! It has been a looooonnnnngggg time a coming in my opinion. You see the last time Alabama went to the National Championship game it was 1992. I was in middle school. I remember exactly where I was watching the game and cheering on the Tide! I was in Gatlinburg, TN on a youth trip with my church sitting right in front of the tv with a bunch of boys b/c all the girls could care less about a football game in middle school. It was an awesome game....much more exciting than last night's. We played Miami and won the title. Do you know that an SEC team has never lost in the National Championship game? It's so true. Every time an SEC team has made it to the big game they have come home with a WIN! That just goes to show that we have the BEST conference in the nation! This was the 13th National Championship for the Tide, ranking them right up there with Notre Dame for the most National Championships since they have been doing polls.

I have been an Alabama fan since I was born. My entire family are Alabama fans....it's in my blood. Even though I went to Ole Miss I still bleed Crimson! I was always the one in the student section that everyone around me thought was going to get KILLED at the game b/c I was cheering for Alabama in the student section, ha! I guess they didn't like me cheering for the winning team, ha! Anyway, I smartened up after I graduated and now I just sit in the Alabama section should we happen to make it to the game in Oxford. Don't worry, I wasn't a complete traitor. I totally cheered on the Rebs wholeheartedly as long as our opponent wasn't the Tide.

And since you all are just dying to know my take on things here's a recap of the game from my perspective: (I know you'll all just LOVE this!)

It started off kinda rocky. See, I was still putting kids in the bed at kickoff and didn't make it to the tv until about 30 minutes into the game (when things started to calm down a little bit). See, they just needed me to come watch so they could get things going in the right direction, ha! You should know that if you ever watch a game with me that I totally talk/scream at the tv the entire game. I even woke the kids up before halftime and had to retuck the boys in at the half.

The first half, except for the beginning of the first quarter, went pretty well I thought. Once Alabama calmed down they got the job done. I felt so bad for that poor little freshman quarterback at Texas after Colt McCoy got injured. He just looked scared to death....poor thing. Of course, if I were staring at Cody at over 300 lbs on the other side I would be pretty scared myself. So at halftime I had pretty high hopes.

Then when we came back on the field after halftime -- let me rephrase that -- I don't think we actually showed up after halftime until the fourth quarter anyway. The third quarter for me wasn't really a game at all. It was sad actually. Clayton slept through the entire game except when I'd wake him up screaming at the tv and I actually told him he wasn't missing anything and I was telling the truth. We'd get the ball, take three snaps and then punt the thing away again. And for a while Texas would do the exact same thing.

Some time in the second half the freshman quarterback at Texas found a little rhythm and made two touchdown passes and with the two-point conversion to go with the second one made it a three-point game. And I was just a screaming at that tv. I mean, here we had a substantial lead and we weren't even playing in the second half. McElroy was not completing passes, overthrowing the few he attempted, and our running game was going nowhere. Of course, Mark Ingram was out with leg cramps which didn't help matters. I will give the Texas defense some credit though. They came to play. They did really good. I was surprised how well they did. They sacked McElroy several times....I lost count after four. But when Ingram came back in they couldn't stop him. That boy, he has some skill. And I'll tell you who else has some skill, Richardson. The two Alabama running backs both rushed for over 100 yards apiece! That's awesome considering Texas' defensive line!

I will have to say that our defense really won the game in the fourth quarter when they forced the fumble from the quarterback of Texas and recovered on Texas' three-yard line. That was Sa-weeet! And after we scored off of that our defense pretty much dominated Texas with either one or two more interceptions, leaving it impossible for them to score. I would have loved to have seen some passes from McElroy to Julio Jones like we saw against Auburn and Florida. it would have been a much more exciting game! All in all I was so proud of our players and I was soooooo glad we came home with the WIN! ROLL TIDE ROLL!

I especially thought the commentators hit the nail right on the head after the game when they said, "Bama is back!" AMEN AND AMEN!

I can't wait until next year. We have a lot of our starters coming back next year, including McElroy, Ingram and Richardson. Maybe we'll make it two years in a row! Of course if we don't I'll still be cheering on the Tide like I have my whole life. I've never known anything else. I can still remember staying with my Grandmother when I was a little girl and it didn't matter what you wanted to do/watch/play....if Alabama was playing football, that was all there was to do....funny thing is, I still feel the exact same way!

I know y'all just loved my rendition of the game. In fact my feelings will not be hurt if you're not even still reading this anymore. And if you are, happy Friday and may you enjoy NOT setting your alarm clock tonight! I know I sure am going to enjoy it! It's one of the best parts of my week!

1 comment:

  1. April, I am definitely not an Alabama fan but I am a fan of the SEC and was glad they won for our conference; however, I must admit that I had rather the BCS champions be my Florida Gators. HA Know exactly what you me about the alarm clock. That is one of the big benefits of retirement. No Alarm Clock Ringing Every Morning.

    ReplyDelete